The Garden Native Committee of the California Native Plant Society-San Diego Chapter (CNPS-SD) is presenting its fifth annual Tour, Gardens of Growth and Legacy, the weekend of April 1st & 2nd, 2017, from 9:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. This enjoyable and educational weekend demonstrates that plants from our region can create gardens that are long-lived, water-smart and beautiful. We highlight design elements and plant selections that embody a truly Southern Californian landscape aesthetic. The tour is self-guided, allowing visitors to select the gardens they wish to visit and to do so at their own pace.
Chula Vista, Bonita, and Imperial Beach, Lemon Grove and the SD neighborhoods of South Park and North Park
- Private gardens (20): staffed with interpretive docents, owners, and designers.
- Public gardens (4): South Bay Botanic Garden (SBBG) at Southwestern College, RECON Native Plants, Living Coast Discovery Center, and the Tijuana Estuary Visitor’s Center. Staffed with interpretive docents.
- Garden features: rainfall capture devices, edible plants, bird and butterfly habitat, and other sustainable features.
- Live planting: a demonstration planting garden will be featured on the tour.
Click for more details
Join us as a volunteer for our 5th annual Garden Native Tour on Saturday and Sunday, April 1st & 2nd! If you participate as a volunteer, you will receive one free ticket for a 4-hour shift and 2 free tickets for an 8-hour shift.
Volunteers will be asked to greet people who are coming to view the gardens and share an enthusiasm for using native plants in landscaping. Knowledge about native plants is not necessary to be a docent. Friendliness, enthusiasm and an interest in talking with others are the desired skills.
First timers will enjoy a 2½ hour volunteer training session and mini-tour (includes lunch) at one of two locations/dates of their choice. Past garden docent volunteers would be welcome but could choose whether they want to join or not.
The two dates for these training sessions are: Saturday, March 18 in the South Bay Area and Sunday, March 26 in the South Park Area. You need choose only ONE date for training but are welcome to attend both, if you like. If you are unable to attend one of these sessions, please contact the organizer for other training opportunities.
Click here to sign up as a volunteer docent
We are also looking for volunteers for the following non-docent positions. You will not need to attend the training session above for these positions.
- Help with set up during the week prior to the tour (March 27-31)
- Assist with mailings (March 27-31)
- Help with a garden installation or other labor/administrative tasks (April 1-2)
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in these non-docent opportunities